From the Chicago Sun-Times:
An off-duty Chicago Police officer who crashed into a disabled car on the Dan Ryan Expressway and killed two men has pleaded guilty to DUI.
Joseph Frugoli, who was 41 at the time of the crash, entered guilty pleas Thursday to two counts of aggravated DUI, said Sally Daly, spokeswoman for Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez. He faces up to 28 years in prison.
Police said he resigned from his position on Aug. 30.
After the plea deal was reached on the DUI charges, a bench trial in front of Cook County Judge Charles Burns got under way on charges he left the scene of the accident, Daly said. That trial will continue Monday.
If convicted at the trial, Frugoli faces up to 15 years in prison for each victim, Daly said.
Frugoli drove his black Lexus SUV into the back of a Dodge Intrepid that had broken down on southbound I-90/94 near the 18th Street ramp in April 2009, authorities said. The detective was walking away from the crash when he was apprehended.
Andrew Cazares, 23, of Summit, and Fausto Manzera, 21, of Chicago were killed in the crash.
The 18-year veteran cop was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where tests indicated his blood-alcohol level was about triple the legal limit of 0.08. He had previously been involved in two other serious wrecks, authorities said.
According to the Chicago Tribune:
Witnesses testified before Cook County Judge Charles Burns that they saw Frugoli flee on foot following the April 2009 crash on a southbound ramp near Roosevelt Road and 18th Street. Andrew Cazares, 23, and his friend, Fausto Manzeras, 20, perished in the fiery wreck.
Frugoli’s attorney, Michael Monaco, argued that his client was disoriented after the crash.
“He was in a fog,” Monaco said. “He was in an incoherent state.”
As part of the plea deal, a lesser charge of reckless homicide was dropped.