This has been a busy week for police officers getting arrested for DUI. Here are the most recent stories:
- Katherine Ann Heinzel, a retired Newport Beach, CA police officer, received a 9 year sentence for a fatal DUI crash that took the life of a 20-year-old man.
- Doreen Bernice Shaw, a California Highway Patrol officer, plead no contest and received probation for a DUI crash that injured five people.
- Denver Police Lt. Timothy Rusk has been placed on desk duty after a DUI with a BAC of 0.176 and prohibited use of a firearm. Newspaper reports indicate that Rusk has had a previous DUI.
- Another Denver police officer, Jessie Espinoza, was arrested for DUI after a rollover accident. Espinoza had a driving while impaired in 1996.
- Norfolk Virginia officer Nina Thomas was charged with DUI, refusal to take a breath test and felony assault of an officer after a crash on the interstate. After performing field sobriety tests, Officer Thomas allegedly became uncooperative and combative.