The Illinois State Police and more than 150 local police departments are planning enhanced DUI patrols and roadblocks for the Fourth of July holiday.
According to Patch:
This Fourth of July, please designate a sober driver and don’t let friends or family members drive
drunk. Other important tips include:
- Give your designated driver your keys before you go out.
- If you are drunk or impaired by marijuana or other drugs, call a taxi, take mass
- transit, use your favorite ride-sharing service, or call a sober friend or family member to get you home safely.
- Promptly report drunk drivers to law enforcement by pulling over and dialing 911.
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle wears their seat belt. It is your best defense against an impaired driver.
The Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over and Click It or Ticket campaign is funded by federal traffic safety funds administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation. The crackdown runs concurrently with a media campaign reminding motorists that impaired driving has “Life or Death” consequences.