Governor Pritzker has signed into law a new bill that makes it illegal to smoke inside a motor vehicle with children present.
625 ILCS 5/11-1432 Prohibit smoking in a motor vehicle with a minor present.
- “Smoke” means to inhale, exhale, burn, or carry a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, weed, plant, regulated narcotic, or other combustible substance.
- Motorcycles not included.
- A person shall not smoke in a motor vehicle, whether it is in motion or at rest, if a person under 18 years of age is in the vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle’s windows are open. This subsection does not apply to a person who is the sole occupant of a vehicle.
- A police officer may not stop or detain a motor vehicle or its driver nor inspect or search the vehicle, the contents of the vehicle, or the operator or passenger of the vehicle solely for a violation or suspected violation.
- Petty offense not to exceed $100 and, for a second or subsequent offense, a fine not to exceed $250.